Monday, March 21, 2011

Lemon and Vanilla

                                                  Yeah you read right. Lemon and Vanilla.
                                                   Separately, I am drawn to those flavors.
                                                             Together, they are a dream.



Lemon-vanilla candle.


Lemon-Vanilla Tart




                                               This blog IS called Bake. Eat. Run. Repeat.
                               An update: I've actually been Baking. And yes, Eating as well.
                 The only breakdown is the running part. I run probably half a mile four days a week.
                                             That is pitiful. And you are welcome to judge.

                                           

                                                            Lemon Vanilla Tart

  • 1  recipe  Tart Pastry (recipe below)
  • 2    lemons
  • 1/2  cup  sugar
  • 1  Tbsp.  all-purpose flour
  • 2    eggs
  • 1/4  cup  butter, melted
  • 1  Tbsp.  vanilla
  • 1  recipe  Oven-Candied Lemon Slices (recipe below)

Directions

1. Prepare Tart Pastry. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Wrap the rolled-out pastry around a rolling pin. Using pin, ease pastry into a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom, taking care not to stretch the pastry. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan. Trim edges even with the pan. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until crust is golden. Cool on wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.

2. Meanwhile, finely shred 4 teaspoons peel from lemons. Set aside. Squeeze enough juice from lemons to measure 6 tablespoons; set aside.

3. In medium bowl combine sugar and flour. Add eggs. Beat with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 3 minutes or until mixture is light in color and slightly thickened. Stir in lemon peel, lemon juice, butter, and vanilla. Pour into pastry shell. Place tart pan on a baking sheet.

4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set and lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.

5. To serve, remove sides of pan, and top tart with Oven-Candied Lemon Slices. Makes 8 servings.

6. Tart Pastry: In medium bowl cut 1/2 cup cold butter into 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour until pieces are the size of small peas. In a small mixing bowl combine 1 beaten egg yolk, and 1 tablespoon ice water. Gradually stir the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Shape into a ball. If necessary, cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for 30 to 60 minutes or until dough is easy to handle. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough on an 11-inch circle. Use to prepare Lemon-Vanilla Tart.

7. Oven-Candied Lemon Slices: Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Cut 2 small lemons crosswise into 1/8-to 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange in a single layer on pan. Sprinkle lemon slices with 1/4 cup sugar. Bake in preheated 275 degree F oven 45 to 50 minutes or until lemons are almost dry and covered with sugary glaze. While still warm, loosen slices from paper to prevent sticking.

*Disclaimer* I honestly only put the lemon slices on for looks, I take them off before serving. They actually don't taste that great on top but they do look really nice.*
                 

4 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks yummy and really pretty! THANK YOU so much for your SWEET comment on my blog. You are a dear! I'm sure you are making a WONDERFUL wife! (The best thing is being teachable and that is one of your WONDERFUL qualitites! =)
    Thank you for the recipe. OK...You must have cooked for an army when you made that recipe. =)
    So, here I was making this on a SUNDAY...and it ended up taking around 15 cups of flour. Wouldn't you know...I started RUNNING OUT OF WHITE FLOUR on the 11th cup. EEEKKK! (Being Sunday, I knew I couldn't go buy any.) I was near tears, for 7 visitors were fixing to knock on my door. I called Phillip and we PRAYED for my Indian Fry bread...and then I very nervously started adding whole wheat flour. God intervened and my 64 Indian fry breads turned out yummy and my company LOVED them! =) (How many do you get out of your recipe? Maybe I made them too small. Anyways, they were/are yummy...Thanks to you sending me the recipe and God taking over. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmm...feel free to send me your leftovers :) I'm guessing your home smelled amazing while it was baking. BTW...I'm dying to hear how your interview went. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just awarded you the Stylish Blogger Award. Visit my latest blog post for details :)
    www.shellyorvis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete